CE Credits: Investment Strategies in charitable giving
A self-study online course with CE credits
Learn at your own pace and earn valuable CE credits with this new course on charitable giving written by Benefaction’s CEO.
Canadians are becoming more philanthropic; giving more every year to causes that are important to them, but there is today a major change in the world of philanthropy—people want to be in control of how they give. They are holding the organizations accountable for the money and want to see how it is managed. They’re becoming far more demanding in wanting to maximize the impact of their donations. This course is to assist financial advisors who want to ensure their clients’ gifts complement their overall wealth management strategy in a tax-effective manner.
Content Description & Key Concepts:
1. Why Philanthropy?
2. Charity Law and Taxes
3. Life Stage Planning
4. Charitable Bequests
5. Gifts of Securities
6. Gifts of Life Insurance
7. Donor Advised Funds
8. Income Producing Gifts
9. Other gifts
10. Issues for Advisors
Key Benefits For The Students
• Learn how to integrate charitable giving strategies into your annual financial reviews
• Learn how to use charitable giving as a way to build your business
• Discover how to plan and implement the partnerships with the charities selected by your clients
• Help clients to decide whether they want to give directly, start their own charity, give through an endowment, or use donor-advised funds
• Determine which financial tools and techniques are appropriate for certain client situations
• Understand your role in terms of your clients’ charitable giving
Certified Skill Sets:
Using case studies and exams, students will learn to convey the process behind some of the most powerful gift planning concepts used by financial advisors to maximize charitable gifts while minimizing taxes for clients.
• Learn the different benefits for donors of different gift types and determine which are most appropriate for your clients.
• Understand the main components of charity law and taxes that can affect gift plans.
• Complete the case studies to test your new skills in defining gift plans for clients using charitable bequests, gifts of securities, gifts of life insurance, donor advised funds, real estate and other gifts.
• Familiarize yourself with the potential pitfalls of charitable giving including how to look out for those tax shelter schemes not acceptable to CRA.
• Discover how to find resources to assist you in the development of a client’s gift plan.